Wednesday, November 25, 2009

So here it is, the day before Thanksgiving holiday in the US, and time to make the pies for tomorrow. Of course, in my desire to home-produce some of the food for this meal, I had planned to use our apple tree as the basis for an apple tart.... Planned is the key word here -- I just went out to pick off the last of the year's crop, and someone has beaten me to it! The tree's naked! I'm suspecting a midnight raid (someone clearly had a lot of pies they needed to make).


So, it's plan B time; drag out the can of pumpkin instead. I could perhaps smash up the pumpkin that still sits happily (or so I choose to think) on our front porch, a reminder that it's still Fall, but that was store bought anyway, so it will be saved the axe.








Talking of axes, I'm hopeful that our neighborhood turkey makes it through tomorrow... Having just read the section of the Farm City (see book recommendation list) on how to kill a turkey, I realize how "easy" it would be. Well, not for me, I realize that too!

So tomorrow's festivities are almost here and this year the only produce from our own garden will be the roasted parsnips and some herbs (sage for the stuffing, rosemary for the bird, thyme for the gravy). Carrots were all eaten last week and the rest of the crops are not ready by any means. Next year I intend to plan for this event!

Wishing "Happy Thanksgiving" for those of you who celebrate it and happy Thursday for the rest :-) May your day be filled with nourishing moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment