Monday, November 30, 2009

Beer for the slugs... Spinach "something" for us...

I'll start by confessing that this 'blog' is for my own enjoyment and expression -- so sometimes (ok many times) this may be a YAWN moment for anyone 'out there'. Anyhow, I've not yet blogged about the day's grub -- and today's seems to be particularly good (IMHO) since it was created by sheer gut-feel and taste. And I love it when faced with a selection of "things that must be used up, or else, in the fridge" and a tasty (nourishing moment!) meal is produced.

In today's case here are the ingredients that needed to be used up: Spinach (lots of it, fresh from last week's farmers market and starting to wilt (oops) ; fresh ginger (now getting hard around the edges), tomatoes from the garden (yes, some have finally ripened but who wants salads on chilly evenings?), hot red peppers (loads actually, a gift from a neighbor - will need to make a wicked salsa (later)) and chicken breasts.

So here's the idea -- create an Indian chicken saag with the spinach.... It's something we order out quite a bit and my grandmother was really into Indian cooking (she spent early years in India), and we do have a lot of the spices that (I hope/believe) are typically used....

Here's the dish ("festering" on the stove top until I make the black rice -- sorry I don't do white!)

Total time from prep to the picture above - 30 minutes (on full speed ahead mode)...

Ingredients (kinda rough since I don't measure):
About 3 bunches of spinach
1 1/2 lb of chicken breast in cubes
1 onion (chopped fine)
About 8 cloves garlic (minced)
I red hot pepper kept whole (so you can remove if the dish is getting too hot for you)
large piece of fresh ginger (chopped fine-ish)
2 tomatoes (chopped fine)
some milk (about 2 tablespoons)
some lemon juice (about 1 tablespoon)
Olive oil (about 3-4 tblsp)
Spices: cardamom seeds (2 smashed up by pestle/mortar - that my grandmother gave me (lovely coincidence eh?)
6 cloves (smashed up per above)
tumeric (approx 1 teaspoon)
coriander (approx 2 teaspoon)
paprica (approx 2 teaspoon)
ground cayenne pepper (approx 2 teaspoon)
ground cumin (approx 2 teaspoon)
garam masala ( approx 2 teaspoon - we made this up ahead of time ages ago... you may not have it, sorry - improvise or leave out)
salt and "no salt" (you be the judge; I use about 2 tsp of each)

What to do...

Brown the chicken in some of the olive oil
while doing so put small amount water in deep pan and add spinach, bring to boil, turn off heat and cool - when cool (later) you will blend in a blender (kinda like a Kermit-the-frog moment)
Add to chicken rest of olive oil and the onions, garlic and ginger - brown
Then add the tomatoes and rest of the spices and the whole hot red pepper
After about 5 mins add the blended kermit (oops, spinach), and the milk
Reduce down to a thicker consistency and put a lid on to let it sit and "fester" (get more flavor in it - although I know this is not the real definition :-).

Serve with rice and popdums (or whatever tickles your fancy)

And that's my nourishing moment for today, folks!

Oh ...Beer for slugs -- more on that tomorrow (if it works)... The darn slugs/snails are eating my kale! My friend across the street suggested covering the small plants with jars and leaving out beer... we shall see!

3 comments:

  1. This sounds really really good. I know I don't have all those spices but it would be good to try the base (chicken, onions, garlic, tomatoes and blended spinach) and use the spices I do have. I don't do white rice either but never had black rice, only brown rice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best chicken saag EVER! The more garlic the better. No more take out. Just great fresh spinach, spices and whatever protein you'd care to add... Paneer, tofu or chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reminding me Colleen -- yes this should work great with tofu (I'd use the firm kind). Donna, try the black rice it has a crunch and a nutty taste -- it's yummy!!

    ReplyDelete